Tuesday 14 January 2014

Cristiano Ronaldo Emerge 2013 FIFA World Best Football Player


FIFA has named Cristiano Ronaldo as the world's best football player of the year. Germany took home three prizes, with Jupp Heynckes and Silvia Neid winning best coaches and Nadine Angerer, best female player.

Cristiano Ronaldo ended Lionel Messi’s unprecedented four-year run as the world’s best soccer player by claiming the Ballon d’Or.

Real Madrid forward Ronaldo, who also won the accolade as a Manchester United player in 2008, finished ahead of Barcelona’s Messi and Franck Ribery of European champion Bayern Munich, in voting for the event organized by governing body FIFA.

“It’s a tremendously emotional moment,” Ronaldo said after collecting the award accompanied by his son. “It’s very difficult to win this award.”

Ronaldo has averaged a goal a game for Real the past two seasons. The 28-year-old Portuguese scored three times in a playoff match in November as his country beat Sweden 3-2 to reach this year’s World Cup.

“I have to say a great thanks to all my teammates at my club and at my national team,” Ronaldo said as he tried to hold back tears. “I have to thank everybody who’s been involved with me at a personal level as well -- my son, my friends.”

Last year, Argentina international Messi became the first player to win the award four times. Zinedine Zidane and former Brazil striker Ronaldo won it three times.

Ronaldo fights back the tears alongside Brazil legend Pele


No comments:

Post a Comment